I am a busy Mom of a 3 year old and 4 month old. I barely have time to eat, and when I realize I am hungry and haven’t had lunch yet, I grab something unhealthy and unsatisfying. I love making my own granola, and one day I tasted the mix before I baked it and it wasn’t bad. So, I decided to use the mix to make these little protein balls. I had recently saw a version of them floating around the internet, forgive me for not giving credit for the inspiration.
These are full of fibre and protein, perfect for any busy family. They don’t last long around here!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw slivered, chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries ( You can use cranberries, or any dried fruit. I use cherries because there is no added sugar)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup ( I use whatever I have on hand)
- 1 tsp vanilla
First, gather all your ingredients. I like to buy in bulk, then store in Mason Jars.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together
Next, add the peanut butter, maple syrup or honey and vanilla then mix, mix, mix. I always used to do this by hand, then got smart and used my Kitchen Aid mixer which was much easier!
Next start by grabbing a small handful and form into balls. I like to make them about the size of a golf ball. The mixture should form quite easily, if you find it is not sticking together you may want to add some more honey or maple syrup.
I ended up with about 36 balls. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for a about a week. They never last a week around here. These are the perfect little snack!